CTE Department Teaching Grants
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS—Deadline is mid- to late-March each year.
The Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) offers $5,000 grants (with potential for renewal) to departments/units to develop teaching initiatives of their choosing at the undergraduate or graduate level. Examples of projects that could be funded include but are not limited to:
- Evaluating curriculum to facilitate student learning in a program
- Planning departmental course offerings to identify redundancies or gaps that impede students’ progress in a program
- Developing a series of hybrid courses to improve undergraduate or graduate education
- Establishing e-portfolios for students to demonstrate their learning in a program
Examples of activities that could be supported include but are not limited to: planning retreats and start-up costs; workshops facilitated by consultants; travel to conferences or other campuses to learn about successful strategies; summer salary for project participants; and/or student employment (undergraduate or graduate) for project assistance.
Academic departments or equivalent academic units on the Lawrence campus are eligible. CTE’s advisory board will review applications and identify recipients. Project goals must be clearly defined, as well as how the unit will determine whether the goals have been met. Projects should promote cooperative, integrated participation among faculty members. Preference will be given to projects that will have a high impact on the teaching culture of a unit and that have the potential to impact multiple units at KU.
Submit a one- to two-page application that addresses these questions:
- What are the goals of your department/unit project?
- Who is the project leader, and which other faculty members will be involved?
- How would the project improve student learning?
- How will you demonstrate that the goals have been met?
The application must include a general budget for the project. Applications should be sent to Judy Eddy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grant Recipient Information
CTE will usually transfer the grants (state funds) by the end of April. By December 1, each grant recipient must submit a report to CTE that includes information about the project’s impact on student learning. Grant recipients may apply for a competitive one or two-year renewal for an additional $5,000 award ($3,000 in year two, $2,000 in year three), to total $10,000 per project. A final report is due at the end of the project. Recipients are encouraged to present a breakout session about their project at the KU Summit.
Mid- to late-March: Applications due to CTE
Mid-April: Selection of grant recipient
Contact Andrea Greenhoot, Center for Teaching Excellence, at 864-4199 or email@example.com.